EverNote is a suite of software specially designed for notetaking and archiving any Notes. With this Tool, user can remember anything from your everyday life and act upon ideas, projects and experiences across all the computers, phones and tablets you use.
A “note” can be a piece of formatted text, a full webpage or Small excerpt, a photograph, a voice memo, or a handwritten note. Notes also have file attachments and you can easily sorted them into folder wise, then tagged, annotated, edited, given comments, searched and exported as part of a notebook.
Evernote is a available in a free and paid version. Free version offer limited features and it is Ads supported apps. if you want to use fully features Evernote Apps without any ads, you need to subscribe paid version of EverNote. Use of the online server is free up to a certain monthly usage limit, with additional monthly use reserved for paying subscribers.
Evernote is a proprietary software and can be costly for people with heavy note-taking. So, lets take a look at some open source alternatives to evernote that provide quite interesting & useful features without paying any money.
- wikidPad – WikidPad is a cross platform notepad application that offer wiki-like functionality to store your thoughts, ideas, to-do lists, contacts, or anything with plenty of features, such as dynamic tree generation, topic tagging, auto-completion, Wiki text styling, Dynamic views, Search and Replace etc.. – wikidPad
- NixNote – Nixnote is an open source client for Evernote. – NixNote
- Notational Velocity – Notational Velocity is an notetaking application for Mac that let you stores and retrieves notes. – Notational Velocity
- KeepNote – KeepNote is a cross platform note taking application that let you store your class notes, TODO lists, research notes, journal entries, paper outlines, etc. in a simple notebook hierarchy with rich-text formatting, images, and more. – KeepNote
- Memonic – Memonic is an application that store all your small yet Large piece of information like text, bookmarks, PDF files, web archives, serial numbers, passwords, or images by dragging, copying, importing or even printing. You can get anything out of Yojimbo you put into it, too, in its original form. There’s no lock-in, export any time. – Memonic
- Piggydb – Piggydb is a flexible and scalable knowledge building platform that supports a heuristic or bottom-up approach to discover new concepts or ideas based on your input. You can begin with using it as a flexible outliner, diary or notebook, and as your database grows, Piggydb helps you to shape or elaborate your own knowledge. – Piggydb
- Day One – Day One is an application where you can enter their thoughts and memories and have them synced and backed up in the cloud via iCloud or Dropbox to iPhone and iPad. it is well designed and extremely focused to encourage you to write more and recall your past. Using the Menu Bar quick entry, Reminder system, Calendar view and inspirational messages your memories and thoughts will be preserved. – Day One
- Remember The Task – Take your tasks anywhere with this feature-packed application. See tasks located nearby, add and complete tasks on the go, organize upcoming tasks, and sync it all seamlessly with Remember The Milk. – Remember The Milk
- Together – Together lets you keep everything in one centralize place. giving you the ability to store, edit and preview your files in a single clean, uncluttered interface. Text, documents, images, movies, sounds, web pages and bookmarks can all be drag and drop to Together for safe keeping, tagged, previewed, collected together in different ways and found again instantly. – Together
- MacJournal – MacJournal is a Mac tool for keeping track of daily happenings and the start of a new year is a great time to begin your new journal. MacJournal is packed with so many features and enhancements that you can turn it into your own personal writing playground. – MacJournal
- NoteCase Pro – NoteCase Pro is designed to quickly capture, organize, protect, access, and recycle your information. it’s an advanced multi platform outliner that helps you organize your text notes into a document, with individual notes placed in the tree-like structure. – NoteCase Pro
- nvPY – nvPY is a simple note syncing note-taking tool inspired by Notational Velocity (and a little bit by nvALT too) on OSX and ResophNotes on Windows. It is significantly uglier, but it is cross-platform. – nvpy