One of my friend ask me that “How to disable removable storage devices access in Windows 7” for Security purpose. He doesn’t want any employee of his office to use removable storage devices like USB Flash Drive or USB Disk on his office for security purpose. So here is step by step guide to Disable access to removable storage devices in Windows 7.
You can disable removable storage devices access in windows 7 by using group policy feature of windows 7. Group policy is a new feature of Microsoft Windows NT family of operating systems. it also available in windows 7. It’s an set of rules which control the working environment of user accounts and computer accounts.
- As I say previously we are disabling the access to removable storage devices in windows 7; with help of Group Policy. To open Group Policy editor Click Start orb, type “ group policy” or “gpedit.msc” in Windows 7 search field and launch group policy editor.
- Navigate to “User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System –> Removable Storage Access “, Now Select “All Removable storage classes: Deny all access” from right-side panel.
- After Selecting “ All Removable storage classes: Deny all access” option, Double click on them. change its status to “Enabled”.
- Now Click apply and ok to confirm and save the configuration.
- After saving the configuration your computer now ready to disable access to removable storage devices like USB Flash Drive or USB Disk . To restore the configurations, please set the corresponding policies status to “Disabled” or “Not Configured”. it will automatically reset the configuration.
Notes : This techniques will disable access to all removable storage devices. For more details about Group Policy editor, please visit here.