15 useful Mac OS X text editors
A text editor is a computer program that allow user to enter, change, store text files.Text editors are often provided with operating systems or software development packages, and can be used to change configuration files and programming language source code. Finding Useful text editor For Mac OS X was one of the challenging task and here’s what we managed to collect – 15 useful Mac OS X text editors.
ActiveState Komodo – cross platform text editor for Mac
- Multi-language file support
- Standard editing features
- Syntax checking and coloring
- Modal Vi keybindings emulate navigation, text insertion and command behavior.
- Emacs-like keybinding scheme supported
- HTML, XML and CSS files preview side-by-side or in a browser, using arbitrary files or URLs.
- Multilingual Input Method Editor (IME) support
- Code folding and snippets
- Multi-document editing
- Store virtually anything and Share a Toolbox with networked team members or distribute valuable Toolbox items to other Komodo users with the import/export function.
Aquamacs Mac text editor
Aquamacs Text editor is a Aqua-native build of the powerful Emacs text editor for Mac OS X. featuring Plug&Play and a Mac-like user interface with pleasant fonts. Extensive customization enables to feel just right and interact well with your other applications. Aquamacs Emacs is best suitable for people who work with Text, HTML, LaTeX, C++, Java, Python, Perl, Ruby, PHP. Aquamacs integrates perfectly with OS X thanks to its specially adapted user interface.
BBEdit – HTML and text editor for Mac
BBEdit is a leading professional HTML and text editor for Mac. it specially designed to give you high-performance features for editing, searching, and manipulation of text. An intelligent interface provides easy access to BBEdit’s best-of-class features, including grep pattern matching, search and replace across multiple files (even unopened files on remote servers), project definition tools, function navigation and syntax coloring for numerous source code languages, code folding, FTP and SFTP open and save, AppleScript, Mac OS X Unix scripting support, text and code completion, and of course a complete set of robust HTML tools.
SKEdit – Text Editor for Mac
TextMate versatile plain text editor for Mac
TextMate is a versatile plain text editor with a unique and innovative feature set which caused it to win an Apple Design Award for Best Mac OS X Developer Tool in August 2006. it support for all major programming languages, writing prose in structured formats such as LaTeX, Markdown, Textile, etc., blogging, running SQL queries, writing screen plays, doing your budget, and much more. TextMate is not an IDE but by using its powerful snippets, macros, and unique scoping system, it can often provide features that even a language specific IDE lacks. It has enough project management features to keep most users happy, but is otherwise kept lightweight with a clean and minimalistic GUI.
Climacs – Emacs-like text editor in Common Lisp for Mac
Climacs is an open source Emacs-like text editor written in Common Lisp. it’s free Common Lisp-based text editor that has good integration with other CLIM-based applications. it use Common Lisp Interface Manager (CLIM) library, called ESA, that provides an Emacs-style user interface, rather than the normal CLIM UI.
CodeWarrior – IDE for Mac
CodeWarrior Development Studio is a complete Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for the Macintosh that provides a highly visual and automated framework to accelerate the development of the most complex embedded applications.
Diakonos – console-based Mac text editor
Diakonos is a free and open source customizable, usable console-based text editor which uses common Macintosh/Windows based keyboard shortcuts – Ctrl-C to copy, Ctrl-V to paste, Ctrl-O to open a file, Ctrl-S to save. It features arbitrary language scripting, a customizable status line, bookmarking, regular expression searching,macro recording and playback, a multi-element clipboard, multi-level undo, a customizable multilingual syntax highlighting, with support for embedded languages, completely customizable keyboard mapping, and customizable syntax highlighting.
jEdit – programmer text editor for Mac
jEdit is an open source, cross platform programmer’s text editor written in Java that is customizable with plugins.It has many useful features, such as tabbed window, syntax highlighting, source code editing, File Drawer, none-contiguous layouting, rectangular paste, multiple file search and replace, word completion, smart index menu, smart quote, smart separation between Japanese and English, smart URL link and more. it has powerful plugin architecture that allows to download and installed plugin directly from jEdit using the “plugin manager” feature.
SXEmacs open source text editor
Sam – multi-file text editor for Mac OS X
SAM is an interactive multi-file text editor that combines cut-and-paste interactive editing with an unusual command language based on the composition of regular expressions. It is written as two programs: one, the ‘host part,’ runs on a Unix* system and implements the command language and provides file access; the other,the ‘terminal part,’ runs asynchronously on a machine with a mouse and bitmap display and supports the display and interactive editing.
Smultron – text editor mac open source
Smultron is an open source text editor written in Cocoa framework for Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 which is designed to be both easy to use and powerful. it specially designed to give you high-performance features such as edit and save many different file types, Auto completion, Syntax highlighting for many popular programming languages including C, C++, LISP, Java, Python, Ruby, HTML, XML, CSS, Prolog and D, Un/Comment Selection, .Mac Sync, command line utility, Multi-document search and replace with the option to use regular expressions, Show Invisible Characters, Drag-and-drop of files, Code snippets, HTML preview, easy to remove Needless Whitespace, Entab and detab and many more.
TextWrangler HTML and text editor for Mac
TextWrangler is a powerful yet fully featured HTML and text editor for editing, composing, transforming text stored in plain-text files. it provide syntax coloring support for all major programming languages such as ANSI C, C++, Fortran, Java, Object Pascal, Objective-C, Perl, Python, Rez, Ruby, Tcl, TeX, and Unix shell scripts.
- single and multi-file search & replace
- Flexible ‘grep’ style pattern-based search and replace based on PCRE
- Support for rectangular text selections
- Built-in text transformations
- Open and save files in Mac, Unix, and Windows line-ending formats
- Quoted text re-wrapper
- Multiple Undo and Clipboards
- Splittable editing windows
- Auto Indent
SubEthaEdit – Collaborative real time text editor for Mac
SubEthaEdit is a collaborative real time text editor specially designed for Mac OS X. it provide document based collaboration where every participant can type anywhere in the text without locking any parts of the text for other users, making SubEthaEdit just as easy to use as a traditional text editor.
- Regular expression search and replace.
- Customizable Syntax highlighting
- Easy to edit file as a administrator
- Collaborative real time text editor
- Share documents with Bonjour
- Pair programming
- Read only Access : Easy to set collaborators in a “Read only” group, preventing them from writing anything . this feature is ideal for teaching
- Fully IPv6 enabled
- Secure your document by using SSL encrypted transmission.
- Control collaboration with AppleScript
- Tabbed Window user interface
- Code folding
- Full Unicode Support
- File Encoding and conversions support
- Self contained, extensible syntax modes
Chocolat text editing tool for Mac
Chocolat is a text editing tool for Mac OS X that combines native Cocoa with powerful text editing functionality.
- Text Editing
- Window Split editing allow you to edit multiple files at once. it display two parts of the same file in one window.
- Code Completion
- Symbol List
- Jump to Definition
- Project Find – built-in support for ack for doing regex searches over whole directories.
- Go to file for easy Jump to any file in your project
- Web Preview your HTML and Markdown files, as you type.